Wednesday, October 15, 2014

#digcit class

Last year, after seeing @e_sheninger speak at a connected educator conference, I saw a missing curriculum in our district.  We were expecting our students to be good digital citizens, but not teaching it.  We weren't valuing it enough to make it a class or to model it through the open use of social media.

I began to mull over the possibilities for this class.  Which direction did I want to take the class?  Would it be a 10 week or 20 week course?  Would it be all levels or just upperclassmen?  If you think about it, digital citizenship for digital natives should be something that is taught starting on day one of any formalized schooling if it isn't already a conversation at home.

I spent a lot of time researching the topic this past Spring and came across Common Sense Media.  It is a treasure trove of resources and a spring board for many of the ideas I am not implementing in my #digcit course.

Over the past 7 weeks, I've really grown to love this course more than I thought I could.  I knew that being into social media myself and a concerned citizen regarding digital natives misusing the most powerful tool available to them, I knew this course was or me.

One of the things that I have exposed our students to is the power of a #.  We have participated in educationally based chats using the #digcit.  We have researched what others are saying about #cyberbullyingprevention.  We have seen what it means to be a #cs14 (connected student).  We have made connections that otherwise wouldn't have been possible!

Stay tuned.. more to come!

1 comment: